Posted by: Lightspeeds PC Repair
This customers Gateway NV53A75U was running hot, and shutting down on the customer. It’s an AMD Triple Core processor, so it does run on the hot side.
- This Gateways idle temp 60-65 C
- Load Temp of 74-78 C
Dis-assembled laptop to check, clean the fan & heatsink, modified the cooling with 2 copper shims and applied Arctic Cooling MX2 Thermal Compound. Cooling fan was blocked by dust buildup, not bad have seen much worse.
Re-Assembled Gateway temperatures now:
- Idled Temp of 48-54 C
- Full load tempt of 58-63 C
First off, this is a guide and by no means does Lightspeeds Computer Repair take any responsibility in the dis-assembly of your laptop by this guide & photos, and you damaging the laptop. Dis-assemble at your own risk.
Thanks to ecigs and the GREAT flavors at Mom & Pops Vapor Shop -
Mom & Pops Vapor Shop – 10% Off All E Liquids Using Code 10off
- And hidden CDROM screw under small cover
Look close above these keys, push these VERY small tabs/clips up and in towards screen. These clips lock keyboard down in place. Start with the “Delete” tab and work towards the left “F4″ key tab.
** Pull the top of keyboard up slowly, be careful there is a ribbon cable that connects keyboard to motherboard. **
There are small snap clips on the left & right side of keyboard, but these do not push in, keyboard just snaps out of these on the side
– 2 small black tabs, carefully gently push tabs out a bit to unlock the keyboard ribbon cable.
– Black lock bar tabs push towards front of laptop, slowly! You break these off then we have other issues.
- Disconnect 4 cables marked with green arrows
- Work towards the right top corner, pull and snap up.
- Palmrest comes off by working from top middle, to top right corner, to bottom right corner, and over to the left. It lifts off from right to left
- Palmrest / Touchpad now off, free from laptop.